Monday, December 29, 2008

Mirror, mirror on the wall(s)

One year, two weeks and a few days after moving in, the mirror in our upstairs jack-and-jill bathroom was installed (not that I was counting of course). To be honest, it was a fairly awkward year explaining to guests why we didn't have a mirror for them...especially when we weren't entirely sure ourselves.

This will hopefully serve as a kids bathroom in the future, and as such, we went away from the rest of the house decor. Instead of concrete and neutrals, we went for a Mediterranean style with lots of cobalt blue, white and clay. In fact, it was designed after a hotel bathroom in Marbella, Spain that we found to be particularly fun and casual.


Overall, I'm pleased with the final result (well almost final, but good enough for now). I did have the urge to bring down the mirror 4-5 inches when the tiling was done, but unfortunately I held my tongue. I really wish I hadn't. If this is for kids, it would have been best to get the mirror as low as possible. Oh well....too late now.

Today we spent the day doing little jobs around the house that have been neglected. I got a little shelf up in the adjoining toilet/shower area. And what did I decide to put up there but a Mexican mirror that I've had for years.


So yes, we went from no mirrors to two mirrors in a matter of days. Our building crew has taught me well!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen -
Can you rehang the mirror in the kids bath but this time tilt it away from the walla at the top? It's a little weird when you first walk in, but once you're used to it, it accomplishes what you need -a view just a few inches lower.