Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Behind the lonely door

A while back, a friend and I were doing some "house research" in Miami and she recommended that we pop in (unannounced) to a concrete countertop manufacturer that she found through a magazine advertisement. Sounded like an adventure. We searched for the address, got lost, searched some more, ran into some suspect areas, turned around, tried again...all the time fairly concerned about our welfare (we weren't really in the best area in all of Miami). Just when I was about to call it a day, my friend bounced out of the car, determined to find our destination. It was one of those moments that you know you can't let her go alone...but to be honest, you really just want to get the heck out of there.

The next thing I know she starts banging on a huge metal door displaying the number that we had been searching for. It absolutely could not be our destination. The big metal door was the lone invitation on a building with no windows (but still with bars...yikes). I was pretty sure that was going to be the end of both of us. I held my breath as the door opened...

What we found inside was the most wonderful French couple that had recently moved their business to this location. Besides great conversation, we were treated to a trove of concrete treasures. "Oooh....aaaH". They walked us through their entire manufacturing process and introduced us to each member of their staff. It was wonderful!


After all is said and done, we've decided to go with their Swan Sink for our powder room. It's really simple, but impressive at the same time. The order will be placed shortly. So watch out because I'll probably be itching to tell this story to our visitors. And to think that I very easily could have missed out due to my lack of imagination...live and learn!

No comments: